A short history of Park
One of Gaudi’s best friend and patron, Eusebi Guell
commissioned Gaudi to design many buildings.
Their most famous collaboration was the lush ParK Guell,
created as the entry and park grounds for an exclusive, gated housing
development for 60 private villas.
housing development wasn’t a successful one, as the park at that time was far
from town and only 2 houses of the proposed 60 were ever sold.
One of those two
houses was Gaudi’s house, the Torre Rosa, built by Francesc
was in this house where Gaudi lived the last 20 years of his life from 1906 to
1926 and today it houses the Gaudi Museum.
Work at the park commenced in 1900 and
lasted until 1914. After this date, Gaudi
worked solely on the Sagrada Familia and did not take any other commissions.
The Park Guell became municipal property
In 1963 Gaudi’s house was converted into
the Gaudi Museum.
In 1984 Park Guell is a UNESCO World
Heritage Site along with other Gaudi works.